Game Theory Radio

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ticketmaster...........the new mafia?

I'm on the soapbox again my friends, this time I dust off my hatred of ticketmaster. I was under the assumption that monopolies in this country were illegal, don't bring up MLB or the NFL, NHL or NBA, while all of these have extremely high barriers to entry they are not necessarily monopolies. Take the AFL it was at one time its own entity was bought by the NFL because the NFL recognized it as a competitor. Pont being if you have the money to create a professional sports league, there is nothing stopping you. That brings me to Ticketmaster who is now in the process of merging with Live Nation, which will give them unilateral control over the entire concert process. Recently tickets for a Bruce Springsteen sold out in 1 minute, consumers were refered to Ticketnow, which is a 2nd hand ticket seller, much like Stubhub. Now let me put this in a real world example, I took my at the time girlfriend to a Yankee game in the Bronx in May of 2007, as we came up out of the subway there was a black kid being lead away in handcuffs, his crime was "scalping two tickets" and I highly doubt the prices on them were that high, the Yankees were playing the Mariners. So how is it Ticketmaster is allowed to drop 10,000 thousand tickets onto a second hand scalping site with no ramifications? Two words. Rich. Whitey. Its a disgusting process, If you are lets say a dad looking to buy 4 tickets to a baseball game to take the kids and the old lady to, you are going to shell out big money for the tickets and money for "convienience fee" how is that convienient for me when I don't have a choice in the matter. I think the government should step in, maybe take sometime off from chasing Bonds and Tejada and help the American consumer. Here is my system for combating this plague of corporate greed. Have two sets of numbers on the tickets, available only to a ticketholder, similar to the serial number used on our currency. Regulate the scalping sights so that if the ticket broker/ seller charges more than 3% above the face value of the ticket the ticket will become null and void, also close delivery charges to no more than $10 to close any possible loop holes. This will force brokers off the ineternet and onto the stadium grounds at which point buying huge lots of tickets will become economically inefficient, because the tickets being available at the stadium by a large number of brokers would create an inelastic price system where the consumer would be in charge. Also we can blame this phenomenom on corporate America, a large buyer of tickets to sporting events, capitalism at it's best, screw the consumer on tickets to see sporting events even though they are the one's paying for the new stadiums with their tax dollars. Shameful. Before you go to bed tonight say your prayers that I don't get accepted to law shool rich whitey, becasue I'm going to come after you like a wolverine with a crack problem.

1 comment:

Eric Bandazewski said...

wolverines everywhere: just say no to drugs. i dont think bruce springsteen should be allowed to perform anyway.