Game Theory Radio

Thursday, October 16, 2008

My thoughts on the Tampa Bay Rays

Upon moving to Tampa I supported the then Devil Rays, I went to their spring training games as well as regular season games, on a good day there was maybe 10,000 people there. I would cheer for them as long as they weren't playing my beloved Yankees. Right now I am cheering for the Red Sox to come back in this ALCS game 5. The Red Sox are trailing by 1 run right now. That's correct readers, I am a lifelong Yankees fan cheering for the Red Sox. Why you ask?? Its because I absolutely despise, hate and loathe the Rays. What an arrogant bunch they are, management always complaining about the Yankees, always crying and bitching like a 3 year old with a toothache. Shut up, you have not done anything since your inception. The worst is the Rays fans, what a classless bunch. I cant even go to a game and watch my Yankees play without some drunk Rays "fan" starting with me and every time it did not end well for that fan as I am 6'3" and 225lbs and do not tolerate people throwing beverages at me or threatening my family. Im tired of all the crap in the paper about the "small market" team. Umm Tampa is not a small market, they have four professional sports teams, not to mention my alma matter USF Bulls. As an economics major, I have quite a bit of knowledge of sports economics. Revenue sharing is a big part of sports, teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets pay luxury tax which is spread to the "small market" teams, like the Royals and Mariners. If the Rays did not sell one ticket allllllll year they would still make money due to tv contracts, road gate receipts, licensing etc. So lets say they average 15,000 in attendance and say the average ticket price is $35.00 then times that by the number of games, 81. The total would be $42,525,000, now that was a low estimate on attendance and ticket prices. As we know the Rays participate in 2nd degree price discrimination for what they call "premium games" this is intended to capture consumer surplus from Yankee and Red Sox fans. Now that total does not include concessions, parking, merchandise (team store), nor does it include road game revenue which is split 70% to 30% I believe. Not to mention the tax payers pick up the tab for the field they play in, but yet they still complain about wanting a new stadium, who do you think you are Rays? Maybe Anchorage, Alaska is looking for an MLB team and your girl Sarah Palin can build you new stadium they could call it "Wolf Killer Stadium" that would be great because then I wouldn't have to look at your team, fans or hear your homer announcers Magrane and Staats complain about every fucking ball and strike that is made. Right now the Red Sox are tied with the Rays 7-7. LET'S GO RED SOX!! In closing I would like to say get some class Rays and Rays fans learn something about baseball before you open your mouth and have some respect for other teams and their fans.

No comments: