Game Theory Radio

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

NCAA Week #7 Pick 'em

Looks like I will be going heavy on my college action this weekend. I picked up my tickets today for the showdown on Thursday night at Raymond James Stadium between the Cincinnati Bearcats and my South Florida Bulls, Tampa will be rocking!! I will be rocking my green game day shirt for the "Green Out" and I will also be rocking some Coors Light, the official beer of The Blanket. Me and Billy Vegas have been kicking around games all day today. We have discovered some diamonds in the rough that we are going to polish up and exchange for cash. Lock up your vault Vegas, cause he we come. Oh, one funny story before I get to the money part. As I was driving home from Publix my phone rang with a 702 area code, I picked it up and it was some clown trying to sell me his picks. I laughed at this guy and asked if he knew who I was, long story short I sold him some of my NFL picks. Real Talk. Ok money time now:



Iowa +3 Iowa is undefeated and heading into a hostile Camp Randall Stadium this week. Iowa is a very fundamentally sound team, they do not make mistakes (not counting Stanzi's pick 6). The Badgers are also a much improved team from last year as well, but they managed to turn the ball over several times which cost them the game against Ohio St. The Hawkeyes have had two down games against inferior competition but Ferentz will have them ready to play. The Hawkeyes own the Badgers like they own Happy Valley going 7-1 against the number vs the Badgers. I'll take the points here.Win.




Texas Tech +11 The Cornhuskers are laying 11 here? Why exactly? The Huskers will be missing one of their RB's for this contest and Helu Jr looked like he was pretty hurt against Mizzou. Tech's defense is a little better than the Tigers and besides playing VT, Nebraska has had a pretty soft schedule. It should not matter if Potts or Sheffield starts this game. Mike Leach system is set up that way. I feel like if Nebraska wins this game it will be by 3 points. They did not impress me at all against Mizzou, the Tigers gift wrapped that game for them in the 4th quarter. Zac Lee has been sharp at times, but I just do not think he can keep up with Leach's offense here.Win.





Arkansas +25 I love this game, and it my be a 10+ unit play, I might pawn one of my dogs to get some more money on this game. The Gators were unimpressive against the Tigers on Saturday and Ryan Mallet is MUCH better than Jefferson at LSU. I think Arkansas is the best team on the Gators schedule. While I was watching my money boomerang back into my account on Saturday night thanks to a push, I was wondering "why is Tebow still in the game with 2 minutes left and LSU down two scores. Meyer will run Tebow into the ground if it means he can get another ring for his next ESPN commercial, he disgusts me, and I can't stand Tebow and his religious non-sense. Arkansas gave me a wire to wire cover on the 17th ranked, undefeated Tigers last week. This line tells me that Vegas thinks that the Razorbacks cant score 14 points on the Gators in this game. The Gators have covered one time this year against Kentucky. If Arkansas can withstand the initial 1st quarter firestorm, they should be in line for a nice cover. Dare I say even and outright win? I think the Razorbacks woke up after the 28 point beating they took from the Tide, and Alabama is better all around then the Gators. Enjoy the payday from this game, I will!!Win.




Colorado St. +22 The Rams came out on fire, but since then they are 0-3. TCU is a SOLID team but I think 22 points is a little much here. Dalton is a good QB, but the Horned Frogs offense is not high flying and TCU's defense has been giving up some points this season. No doubt TCU takes this game, but if the Rams can keep from turning the ball over in this game we should be in good shape for a nice cover and more of that sweet Vegas money! Loss. (I'm embarrassed)




Idaho -10 The Vandals are a covering machine lately sssshhhhhhhh! Keep that under your hat so we can put some cash into our wallets! Hawaii is a prom night dumpster baby, they have no QB either and Idaho has been playing well under the radar. The Vandals only loss came to an improved Washington team, but they still put up 23 points in this contest. Nathan Enderle is a solid QB who reminds me of Cincy's Tony Pike. Idaho has a decent running game and Hawaii's offense will be struggling to score points with Alexander on the shelf. Hopefully the Vandals keep that ATS winning streak alive as well as our bank accounts.Win.




VT -3 I'm not a big fan of VT right now, they have cost me money this year and I do not care for that. Flat out if they can't beat GT by more than 3 they do not deserve to be in the top 15. I'm tired of hearing about Bud Foster, Duke marched up and down the field on them, and they beat a BC team that has zero offensive punch. So let's see if the Hokies can win this game on the road against Johnson's triple option. GT's offense looked sharp against the Seminoles but their defense did not. Taylor is more mobile than Ponder so I see this creating some problems for the GT defense. The way to stop the option is with speed and VT supposedly has that on defense, we shall see. Loss. (I don't want to hear ANYTHING about VT the rest of the year, they are who we thought they were.......a LOSER)




Miami -14 The Hurricanes come to the City Beautiful to play a desperate UCF squad. It will no doubt be a hostile environment because Miami fans don't travel well. However, I don't see how the Knights can score on the Hurricanes. Miami has alot of speed on both sides of the ball and if the Hurricanes can get up early that will force O'Leary to have his QB throw the ball and will take UCF's best player, Brynn Harvey out of the game. Canes roll.Win.




South Carolina +17 Alabama will win this game, but the Tide are notorious slow starters and the Gamecocks have a solid defense that will allow them to hang around. Garcia has made alot of improvements so they should be able to score some points in this contest.Win.


Season Record 21-15-1
That's what I have for Saturday's action. I will be loading up on college picks this Saturday because there are only a few NFL games that I am mildly interested in so far, but I am only half way through with my NFL action so far.

5 comments:

Eric Bandazewski said...

im in on 4 of those so far. my action has picked up significantly as I am tired of leaving money on the table!

Chicago Kid said...

I like several of them a lot (you beat to them) and expect several of them will show up on my picks as well. I'm torn on tomorrow's game and will likely stay away, but definitely like Iowa; TX Tech and Arkansas. I'm a little skeptical about S. Carolina, Bama's D is impressive and in Bama I don't think S. Carolina will get 10. Hope they come thru though but I expect to be on sidelines. Good luck this week as I think we'll have very similar interests.

Anonymous said...

Joker here. Looks like I found me another pick em blog thanks to the chicago kid. I like most of your choices this week, but the one I eliminated personally was VT-3. Sure they should stop GT in their tracks, but I have yet to see anyone anywhere pick GT, yet the line has stayed put? Too sketchy for me.

Anywho, good luck this week, Mr. Blanket.

Chicago Kid said...

Very interesting, seems we all have similar picks / thoughts this week. Hopefully we'll ride them all the way to the bank.

The Blanket said...

Joker, you managed to call me out one the one pick I had trouble making! The line is sketchy, almost as much as the Bengals line this week. However I talked myself into it because basically VT's season is on the line here, so they know they have to show up, hopefully it falls my way!